Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Nashville Update

This is more of a personal blog than a business one, but none of my other blogs seem to fit quite as nicely, so I'm abusing this one. ;) Thanks for tolerating!

I know there may not be as many curious people as it seems some days, but nevertheless... here it is.

First of all Nashville wins. I mean people here complain about how the only people that are in Nashville are musicians and that their only fans are people who are interested in music. I think this is hilarious. First of all, the fact that there are people here interested in it at all should be impressive. Yes, it provides more competition, but shouldn't we all be pushed a bit? I'm sorry your band has to be good to be noticed. Haha! Musicians generally are fans of music and good music at that. People move here for the music and to be a part of it. I'm fairly convinced that even the bands in Cincinnati aren't even interested in music anymore and the few that are are waiting for someone to come and do stuff for them rather than doing it themselves. Generally speaking. I know there are several of you who are deeply offended by this. A little hint.... the more offended you are, the more I hit your sore spot. Get over yourself.

There are things to do here. I used to always say that are things to do everywhere and it's just because you live there that you take them for granted. There are people who do that here as well, but that's a whole other story. I used to think there was plenty to do Cincinnati and there are things, but you have to spend money to go to the zoo or you have to hang out somewhere like Northside. Even though I can have a good time in Northside, if that is our best example of a good time in Cincinnati we are sadly deprived. Again... sore spots and all. Here there are several areas right by downtown that you can walk to several music venues, regular bars, sports bars, dance bars, karaoke bars and so on. They are real things to do. Sure you can still go to the zoo here or a museum or hall of fame or what not, but people actually do the former things.

I've been coming to Nashville for quite some time and I've known these things, but driving around today and looking at things such as the Gibson Headquarters and the over the top publicity stunts from radio stations and the skyline itself that you can see pretty much from anywhere no matter how far out of town you are you can sense the originality and the effort.

There are bad parts of town.... people get shot.... nothing is perfect, but who wants perfect? I want things to keep me on my toes and interested and make me a little nervous and anxious sometimes. Everyone should know what they have and I don't believe you can without a little anxiety and fear.

I even went back to a day job until I get caught up on things and even though I pretty much want to light everyone on fire from the moment I get up until the moment I get home I still couldn't be happier.

So... the scoop is that I made a decision and even though a small group of people tried to make it very difficult on me to do that... I'm still winning. I'm getting things taken care of and moving on to the part of my life that I should have moved onto long before. I'm happier than I've ever been with where I am and what I'm doing, even with the crappy day job.

I'm working for an agency here as well, which is fantastic. I'm working out the details of my own company and what to do with that. None of these ideas ever would have come to me without being here in this place and I have a pretty good grasp on what Outrageous Productions might become and the impact it could have with the agency and without. I never could get a handle on it when I was in a town that was pulling me down.



There are festivals and showcases almost every night of the week and no
one has to pay empty rooms to showcase bands that don't even exist
anymore for their own selfish purposes rather than the improvement of the city and it's talent. I love when I'm at a show on a Monday night with 30-40 people and everyone's disappointed rather than stoked. And if you know where to go, it's generally packed. EVERY NIGHT!!!!!! Damn I love it!

Don't get me wrong. I'm grateful to Cincinnati. I miss my house. I miss my cat (but he'll be here soon). I miss a couple of you, but quite frankly... you're just not that far away. In fact, I have a feeling I'll see some people more now that I'm here than I did living in the same town as them. Some of you I'm happy to be rid of. I need to start over and take care of myself rather than people who want me to take care of them and it was too hard with where I was. Now I'm needing a little taking care of and the people who matter have totally stepped up to the plate and I could not be more grateful. I'm grateful for the love for music that Cincinnati gave me and helping me find what truly makes me happy. There was a time when the music scene did that for people in Cincinnati and I hope they find it again.

It's hard to believe that I just started my 4th week of work at a job I searched for 5 weeks to find. I can't believe Andy Aquino has let me crash in his basement this long. If you ever read this... you're the greatest, dude. I can't believe that people have given me groceries (Jess, Dave) and clothes (Jonda, Jess) and gas (Marc) and Diet Coke (Dave, Jess, Steve, Andy) and bought me drinks (you are too countless to name). I can't believe people came to my first show and that even for a Sunday it wasn't the worst thing I'd ever seen. I'm grateful to The Rutledge who has basically tolerated my loitering (Andy, Benji, Gary, Robert, boy I forget the name of). I'm thankful to Dave who has put up with my inconsistency while looking for stability and all the friggin' ramen (yes, I must mention the food again)! I shall make it up to all of you indeed and it will still never ever seem like enough. Oh! And I can't forget about all the soap, lotion, shampoo, glittery shit and other oddities you hooked me up with last night either Jess! I know you were just trying to get rid of it, but a po' girl can't be beggin' now. Haha!

Maybe I'll become as jaded and cynical as some of the musicians who complain that people are too interested in music around here, but I can't think of a better place to be than that.

I've attached pics of my new place as well as added an album. Those of you that matter... come visit me anytime! You are welcome.





















No comments:

Post a Comment