Sunday, October 25, 2009

Who thinks both sides of this story are being petty? Kings of Leon vs. Nashville Scene

So, I really haven't had time to read a lot of press-related articles regarding much of anything the last few years and quite frankly, do not take the time to seeing as how it is one person's opinion being pushed onto the masses. I prefer to take my time and see what my actual opinion of things are anyway. Here I am though writing my own blog about how I think my opinion is right and everyone else, although they may not be wrong are being extremely petty.

Regarding Kings of Leon in general I have stated publicly on many occasion that I haven't found that thing that makes me love them, but I haven't found anything that makes me hate them. I have downloaded torrents to give them a heartfelt go, but every time I do I wind up searching for something else. Sometimes this is a by-product to the joy I will feel for them later or sometimes I remain as I have... indifferent.

The article and comment regarding this particular article that I did take the time to read today did however make me curious and I clicked the link and read along. Please take a moment to do this yourself if you feel the need:

http://www.nashvillescene.com/2009-10-22/music/kings-of-leon-mother-father-monotonix-and-more/

There are 2 thoughts that immediately entered my mind upon reading this.

First of all, seriously guys? It's like this eddying vortex of pettiness. One guys says something thanks to the power of freedom of press, another guy reads it and comments on it based on his own freedom of speech and then the press fights back. The speaker has enough clout to fight the press and it turns into the petty fight that has ensued this article. So when the press gets kicked off the playground they run to their mommies (the public) and tell on them.

Which brings me to my 2nd point... whatever the hell for? A band that once gained local support and standing and that I'm sure helped them stand on their own two feet is now angry that they've found a way to make their careers work for them. All of those people then turn on them generally out of mere jealousy. Let's face it, that will happen in Nashville, NYC and LA more quickly than anywhere else in the world because people are there specifically for those reasons in a lot of cases. The term "sell out" comes into play because, well, the act of a band selling out is indeed finding someone that will buy them. Isn't that a musicians goal in the first place? What's so wrong with being a sell out? In fact I found the terms (under the same press-related site) that states that KOL "sold out" Madison Square Garden and under direct quote: "Kings of Leon (Oct. 16, Sommet Center) An actual rock band from Nashville is headlining our local Enormodome! This must be seen to be believed." No one really sounds mad about it there.

The fact that Kings of Leon let this get to them so much that they even take the time to bother to kick such pettiness out of parties and not allow for press passes is also petty and unnecessary. You are already "selling out", are you not? Why should a few people be of any concern to you any longer? You're on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine yet someone from Nashville Scene is getting your panties all in a bunch. A nice review/interview was written about you by the same people you are putting so much effort and emotion into. I'm sure if I had the time and energy I could find many an article complimenting you and helping you build the reputation you now have worldwide, so get over it.

In the end there is only one thing that continues this ongoing pettiness. Feelings. Quite frankly and personally, if someone doesn't like me or wants to call me names I try to take the high road and show them how little their opinion means to me. They can go to all my parties, drink all my booze and make sweet love to my boyfriend for all I care. They are insignificant and it bugs them much more in the long run to be so insignificant. That their presence that was brought there to bother you doesn't bother you one bit. Buy them a drink, shake their hand and say hello.

Of course, we all love the underhanded attempts at complimenting the band under the circumstances in a martyrdom of "taking the higher road". If you're going to be petty, please at least go all out. Don't cover it up with a fake smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment